Monday 19 November 2012

Developmental Shoot 4 Research - CANCELLED

For one of my future developmental shoots I want to use the studio to photograph a model, rather than myself this time, dressed as a dark fairy/angel. In this shoot I want to particularly look at different parts of the human body, colour and form.

When I was researching about similar styles of photography, I came across the British photographer John 'Rankin' Waddell. After looking at Rankin's portfolio, I was really inspired by some of his work and the styles he uses.

The main inspiration behind this developmental shoot was from a music video; Ed Sheeran's 'Give Me Love'. The video features 'cupid', and you see the different emotions she feels when she makes various people fall in love, but she can't make someone fall in love with her. I really want to use this idea of looking at different emotions through someone dressing up as a a similar sort of character.




After I had developed the main theme for this shoot, I decided to do some more research into 'fairy photography' which I then found out about the Cottingley fairies. The Cottingley fairies appeared in a series of 5 photographs taken by young girls Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths who lived in Cottingley near Bradford, England in 1917. At the time the photographs were taken, the girls were adamant that the photographs were genuine and sparked a lot of interest in similar psychic phenomenas. The girls then admitted in 1980 that the photographs were faked using cardboard cut-outs, but the fifth and final photograph was genuine. Even today, these famous photographs are one of the biggest influences of photography with the supernatural, and even influenced the photographer Rankin, which is what led me to do more research on him. Looking at the Cottingley photographs myself, even though I know that they are fake, there is still that element of realism in them, making them look beautiful and elegant, which I would like to work with in my own developmental shoot.
 


With this research in mind, I have also found some good online tutorials for Photoshop which will allow me to develop my images afterwards:

No comments:

Post a Comment