Thursday 11 July 2013

Work Diary - Sequencing

Evaluation:
My experience shooting Sequencing was really fun and enjoyable, particularly because it was the first technique I got to learn for my Unit 3 portfolio. In comparison to some of the other techniques I had developed since this shoot, I feel that this was one of the easiest as I enjoyed being creative with the different subjects I could shoot, as there aren't really any limitations. I particularly enjoyed some of the shoots I constructed in the park, as combining the equipment and the people around me compromised for a variety of different poses and sequences. The only part of this technique I did struggle with was keeping the camera as still as possible and remembering to shoot in virtually the same position to ensure that the consistency of the sequence was of a good quality - looking at some of the images I have for a sequence, the camera might be for example angled slightly higher than in some other pictures.

2 Annotated Pictures:




I am really pleased with the outcome of both of these photos because I believe they perfectly show a sequence. The top picture is my favourite of the two, because I think that the concept is quite simple, but still looks really effective, and to improve this in the future, I would perhaps turn this into an animation as I think that the movement would be very swift and fluent as their are many images within the sequence. The only part about that image that I am not pleased with is the quality of each image and that someone's arm can be seen in picture 2 and 3. Because of the wind, I had to have someone hold the dandelion to keep it still and to keep the sequence consistent. I should have ensured that I had shot enough images so that the entire sequence was consisten, but I didn't which is something I will have to make sure I do next time. I could have also cropped the arm out, but that would have meant cropping down all of the images to make sure they were all the same size, but then it looked like the camera had substantially moved in each image, which isn't what I wanted to happen. I do on the other hand like the colours in the sequence, as the dandelion clearly stands out against the green background, which could work out well when I begin to look at contrasts in depth.

I also really enjoyed shooting the second picture; it was a lot more fun as it involved many people moving around a lot and the entire process was much more exciting. I think that the quality of this image is slightly better than the first as I got the camera composition correct in each shot. This image would work really well as an animation, I believe, because the images would look effective flashing to the next at a fast pace. This image follows more of a pattern, and looks more effeective as it circulates and can never end. With the first image, the sequence can't continue because it has reached an 'end', but I love the randomness of the second image which allows for it to continue. I'd say that I could improve this particular image by enhancing the quality of it more by working with the curves better, but I also think that this could work well with the 'selective colour' technique, and so it could be something I look at more when I shoot more in depth for 'contrasts'.

Idea Development:
Overall I really enjoyed this shoot and the images that I produced, but there are many ways I could also improve them in the future to further develop my ideas. I think that sequences are a really effective way to show the change in something, and so this will be perfect for my Unit 3 work on 'contrasts' I want to look at some very basic contrasts like hot and cold or liquids and solids, which would be an interesting thing to look at with sequencing as, for example, I could photograph the sequence of something solid, melting into a liquid. I might be able to edit future sequences as well to fit to the genre of contrasts, i.e the colour of the images. I would like to experiment by turning some sequences into a gradient effect so that the first picture in full colour, slowly dissolves into black and white as the last image, which would also show a contrast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment