Thursday 11 July 2013

Work Diary - Animation

Evaluation:
The animations that I created were taken from two separate shoots: the actual 'animations' shoot where my goal was to photograph images specifically for a sequence, and the other was my sequencing shoot *previous post* where I thought that some of my sequences would make effective animations! I enjoyed shooting for animations as I developed a few techniques that I really liked experimenting with. One of those was to simply walk around holding my finger on the button to continuously shoot my view as I was moving, which was a relatively simply way of producing an animation. Although I did enjoy the shoot, I think it could have gone a lot better if we had planned before hand for it as I felt that I lacked creativity with the limited time and resources. This would definitely be something interesting to look back on in the future with planned shooting time, props and equipment. 
2 Annotated Pictures:
 photo emma-walking-animation_zpsa92dd6c6.gif
- animation from a sequence

- animation from the *animation* shoot.

The top animation is one of my favourite 'final products' from the all of the work I produced over the transition week period. Although a basic concept, I think that it works really well as the sequence is fluent and logically makes sense. I am also pleased with the quality of this animation as like some of the non-animated sequences I produced, there were often problems with some of the images within the sequence, which isn't the case here. I could have perhaps reduced the speed of the actual animation, to make my model walking look more realistic, plus I don't like how the quality of each image is slightly different i.e. the colour brightness in the middle of the animation is stronger than the rest of the animation. To change this in the future, I would have to make sure I note down the curves and levels numbers for the first image so that I can apply the exact same to each image.

The bottom animation was done using iMovie and displaying it as a video file on YouTube instead of a GIF. I personally prefer using the GIF method as it feels more like a photography technique than a film or media technique, but the YouTube/video format does have the benefits of being able to show off the work to more people online. This particular animation was created with many images taken one after the other as I walked along the street. I am pleased with the outcome of this animation and I particularly think that the black and white technique suits the genre and tone of the story behind the animation quite well, except for the fact that I have made an error in constructing it as an image in the middle is in colour rather than black and white, but this could become quite effective if used in the correct way and would do well to show my theme of 'contrasts', but, nevertheless, the mistake reduces the overall quality of my animation. Other than this, I think that the speed and pace of the animation is quite appropriate, and that it is only technique and quality I need to work on. Where I was holding the camera by my waist and taking the photos from there, I didn't have proper support on the camera, which has resulted in a jolty movement in the animation which looks very uneasy and unprofessional. Like the top animation also, the levels and curves do not match with each image because I didn't note down the numbers, which is why in places on the animation the image gets lighter or darker. I think that this type of animation would work well if I was going to experiment looking at documentary photography,
Idea Development:
There are many things I can do to my animation work to improve and develop my ideas, and most of them are similar to what I stated in the previous post about sequencing as they are both very similar. With animation more specifically however, I would like to experiment more with the 'movie' style of animation, as I think this could work well photographing 'life' and this is a possibility I have thought about as I would like to look at the contrast in different peoples' lives i.e. a boy and a girl or a rich person and a poor person. Somehow, I would ideally like to play the two videos either side of each other to show a comparison between two completely different lifestyles. I would also like to use this technique to show processes of things happening, such as a slow creature moving, and then a faster-paced creature moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment